Forum

Antony employs a nu...

Notifications
Clear all

Antony employs a number of devices to produce the desired effect on the mob. These devices maybe described as rhetorical devices. He first speaks in such a manner that it seems to the mob that he is in full agreement with Brutus about Caesar. Then st...

1 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Antony employs a number of devices to produce the desired effect on the mob. These devices maybe described as rhetorical devices. He first speaks in such a manner that it seems to the mob that he is in full agreement with Brutus about Caesar. Then step by step he moves away from Brutus’ position, depicting Brutus as a villain and Caesar as a wronged man. Copy and complete the following table by showing how Antony builds the argument in Caesar’s favour.

1 Answer

Antony's words 1. I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.

Argument: Does not wish to eulogise Caesar

Antony's words : 2. The noble Brutus Hath told you Caesar was ambitious : If it were so, it was a grievous fault, And grievously hath Caesar answered it.

Argument: Seemingly agrees with Brutus

Antony's words 3. He was my friend, faithful and just to me. But Brutus says h% was ambitious; And Brutus is an honourable man.

Argument: Suspects Brutus’ intentions

Antony's words : 4. 1 speak not to disprove what Brutus spoke, But here 1 am to speak what 1 do know.
You all did love him once, not without cause:
What cause withholds you then, to mourn for him?

Argument: Tries to restore citizen’s faith in Caesar’s greatness.

Antony's words : 5. O masters, if 1 were disposed to stir Your hearts and minds to mutiny and rage……………… 1 rather choose. To wrong the deed, to wrong myself and you………..

Argument: Succeeded in making the citizens realise Brutus’, wrong doing and change their views about Caesar.

Antony's words : 6. Would ruffle up your spirits and put a ongue in every wound of Caesar that should move The stones of Rome to rise and mutiny.

Argument: Openly proves Brutus wrong and challenges public to take revenge of Caesar’s death.

Share:

How Can We Help?