Forum

Differentiate metal...

Notifications
Clear all

Differentiate metals and non-metals on the basis of following properties: (a) State (b) Colour (c) Lustre (d) Sonorous (e) Density (f) Melting point (g) Heat conductivity (h) Malleability (i) Ductility (j) Electricity conductivity

1 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Differentiate metals and non-metals on the basis of following properties:

(a) State

(b) Colour

(c) Lustre

(d) Sonorous

(e) Density

(f) Melting point

(g) Heat conductivity

(h) Malleability

(i) Ductility

Topic Tags
1 Answer

Properties of metal:

State: most of the metals are found solid state at normal temperature except mercury (Hg)Which is found in liquid state at normal temperature.

Colour : Mostly metals are grey in colour.

Lustre : Most of the metals are lustrous s such as gold, silver, copper, aluminium.

Sonorous : Most of the metals when struck with other hard metals or objects produce a special sound, this property is called sonorous. Due to this property of metals they are used to manufacture bell and music instrument etc.

Density : generally metals have high density.

Melting point : Melting points of metals are generally high except galium and caesium which have low melting points. They melt on the palm of the hand.

Heat conductivity: Metals are generally good conductors of heat. This is the reason that cooking utensils are made of metals and their handles are made of non-conductors like wood, plastic etc.

Malleability : Metals can be converted into thin sheets by hammering, thus they are malleable.

Ductility : When metals are stretched , convert into wires. This property of metals is called ductility.

Electricity conductivity: Metals allow electricity to pass through them. this property is called conductivity of electricity . silver is the best conductor is electricity.

Properties of Non-metals :

Physical state : They are found three states i.e. solid, liquid and gas at normal  temperature such as -solid carbon (C), Sulphur (S), Iodine (I), liquid -bromine (Br) and gas oxygen (O2), nitrogen (N2​), hydrogen (H2​)

colour:  Non-metals have variety of colours such as sulphur (yellow) chlorine gas (greenish yellow), phosphrous (red, white).

Lustre : Non-metals are non lustrous .Iodine is an exception, it is a lustrous non-metal.

Hardness: They are soft . Diamond is exception , it is the hardest nonmetals found on earth.

Sonorous: They do not produce sound.

Density: They have less density.

Melting point : The have low melting point except diamond and graphite .Diamond and graphite (allotropes of carbon) have very high melting point.

heat and electric conductivity: They are bad conductors of heat and electricity except graphite, which is a good conductor of electricity.

Brittle : They break into pieces when beaten with a hammer, thus they are brittle.

Share:

How Can We Help?