Forum

Give examples of po...

Notifications
Clear all

Give examples of polynomials p(x), g(x), q(x) and r(x), which satisfy the division algorithm and (i) deg p(x) = deg q(x) (ii) deg q(x) = deg r(x) (iii) deg r(x) = 0

1 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Give examples of polynomials p(x), g(x), q(x) and r(x), which satisfy the division algorithm and

(i) deg p(x) = deg q(x)

(ii) deg q(x) = deg r(x)

(iii) deg r(x) = 0

1 Answer

According to the division algorithm, dividend p(x) and divisor g(x) are two polynomials, where g(x)≠0. Then we can find the value of quotient q(x) and remainder r(x), with the help of below given formula;

Dividend = Divisor × Quotient + Remainder

∴ p(x) = g(x)×q(x)+r(x)

Where r(x) = 0 or degree of r(x)< degree of g(x).

Now let us proof the three given cases as per division algorithm by taking examples for each.

(i) deg p(x) = deg q(x)

Degree of dividend is equal to degree of quotient, only when the divisor is a constant term.

Let us take an example, p(x) = 3x2+3x+3 is a polynomial to be divided by g(x) = 3.

So, (3x2+3x+3)/3 = x2+x+1 = q(x)

Thus, you can see, the degree of quotient q(x) = 2, which also equal to the degree of dividend p(x).

Hence, division algorithm is satisfied here.

(ii) deg q(x) = deg r(x)

Let us take an example, p(x) = x+ 3 is a polynomial to be divided by g(x) = x – 1.

So, x+ 3 = (x – 1)×(x) + (x + 3)

Hence, quotient q(x) = x

Also, remainder r(x) = x + 3

Thus, you can see, the degree of quotient q(x) = 1, which is also equal to the degree of remainder r(x).

(iii) deg r(x) = 0

The degree of remainder is 0 only when the remainder left after division algorithm is constant.

Let us take an example, p(x) = x+ 1 is a polynomial to be divided by g(x) = x.

So, x+ 1 = (x)×(x) + 1

Hence, quotient q(x) = x

And, remainder r(x) = 1

Clearly, the degree of remainder here is 0.

Share:

How Can We Help?