Forum

What message does t...

Notifications
Clear all

What message does the poet want to convey to children in his poem ‘Oh, I Wish I’d Looked After Me Teeth’?

1 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

What message does the poet want to convey to children in his poem ‘Oh, I Wish I’d Looked After Me Teeth’?

Support your answer with reference to the following lines:

How I laughed at my mother’s false teeth,
As they foamed in the waters beneath.
But now comes the reckonin’
It’s me they are beckonin’
Oh, I wish I’d looked after me teeth.

1 Answer

The poet regrets that she had not taken care of her teeth during her childhood. She conveys a message to the children that they should inculcate in themselves a good sense of dental hygiene. She regrets that she harmed her teeth by, neglecting their care. Due to the neglect of her teeth, she developed many cavities beneath her teeth. It happened because she had been eating a lot of toffees and sweet, sticky food. Now, she realizes that she should not have eaten sweets and hard candies. She feels guilty that she had been eating lollies, candies and tiny sweets. Her conscience pricks her because she had been eating wrong food. The poet regrets that she did not brush her teeth properly. She did not brush her teeth by moving brush up and down. She did not consider it worthwhile to spend some time in cleaning her teeth. Consequently, the poet had to go to the dentist for treatment.

Share:

How Can We Help?