Forum

While conventional ...

Notifications
Clear all

While conventional Ghost stories are scary and gruesome, several modern versions are humorous. The Canterville Ghost, by Oscar Wilde, is one of the best ghost stories written in the vein of laughing satire. The story that you just read is another exa...

1 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

While conventional Ghost stories are scary and gruesome, several modern versions are humorous. The Canterville Ghost, by Oscar Wilde, is one of the best ghost stories written in the vein of laughing satire. The story that you just read is another example in case. Humour arises out of the narrator’s ability to laugh at himself, clever use of language as well as comic situations. Discuss within your groups what makes the Shady Plot humorous. Share your views during a whole class discussion.

1 Answer

People often say, ‘There’s no such thing as ghosts.’ But ask me and I’ll tell you one such spine- chilling account that will force you to believe in the paranormal visions. My best friend told me this grotesque tale of an old man who could be seen laughing and dancing on full-moon nights in his village. Once he was alone at home as his parents had gone to attend the wedding of a distant relative. It was the month of July and the rain was coming down in sheets. The dogs were howling outside in the streets. He felt shivers of fear down his spine and gathering courage, came out of his room to check if all the doors bolted properly. He heard somebody whispering outside the window and as he peeped out of the misty pane, he saw a spectre laughing wickedly. The sound was shrill and weird and in the darkness, he witnessed the abnormal looking old man dancing weirdly. The wind was howling loudly adding to the atmosphere, an eerie feeling. He let out a loud scream and ran back to his room. Just then, he heard a knock at the door. He crept in the corner but the knocks just didn’t stop. He gathered courage and slowly moved towards the main door. His fears vanished when he heard his parents calling his name. They were relieved to see him safe and assured him that there was nobody outside.

Generally, ghost stories have a kind of spookiness around them. The whole atmosphere is eerie and the ghosts are supposed to frighten people. But ‘The Shady Plot’ is illustrated differently. The setting is the house of the author. The ghosts were similar to human beings. When the author saw something strange taking shape, he was not at all scared rather seemed to doubt his senses into believing that she was a ghost not a real girl. To add to the humour the girl talked about going on strike with other ghosts with whom she had organized ‘The Writer’s Inspiration Bureau. Unlike ghosts she seemed too pathetic when she requested the author to ask his friends and acquaintances stop using the Ouija board. Even funniest was the incident when his wife suspected him of having an fair with a ghost ‘Help’.

Share:

How Can We Help?